Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 7

Smile Apple just made my 2-year-old computer faster

0 Not allowed!
    My personal computer is a 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB of 1067MHz DDR3 RAM, making it a Mid-Year 2009 model. I bought it in February 2010. At that time, it ran 10.5.

I have now upgraded MacOS three times and each time the machine has gotten faster! Just before the upgrade, Firefox and iTunes were starting to feel a little slow, but this has apparently been fixed. I am gobsmacked.

This is why I pay the Mac-tax on what is supposedly equivalent hardware. My three-year old model is running faster than it did when I got it. Not only that, despite several drops, the only physical damage to date has been the hinge sticking a little as you close the lid all the way. The battery also seems to have held up well.

I was planning on replacing my computer this year, but I think I might be able to last another year at this rate. And then I'll only really upgrade for when I run Windows on this machine, as I really just want to run it through VMWare without rebooting and it takes forever to startup in such an environment.
    I'm on Yahoo, Skype, Google+, FaceTime, iChat, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facebook and Twitter. PM me for details.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    Clean install?
    Your father needs to maintain certain illusions about his youth in order to function.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Not in the least. The last time this system got a clean install was when Windows 7 broke the boot loader.
    I'm on Yahoo, Skype, Google+, FaceTime, iChat, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facebook and Twitter. PM me for details.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,186
    Given: 4,168

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by g_roch View Post
    Not in the least. The last time this system got a clean install was when Windows 7 broke the boot loader.
    Damn Bill Gates!

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    There are a few points that warrant criticism:
    • Both iCloud and its ancillary services requested the same permissions during installation, which was clunky.
    • Upon the first startup, Java needed to update. This should have been included in the OS, since the OS went and updated Java anyway.
    • I'm having to "install" XCode, rather than update it, like I could do with all of my other apps from the App Store.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcamp View Post

Damn Bill Gates!
    lol Now now. Macs don't use the normal PC bootloader, so I understand that weird problems sometimes happen on operating systems that don't really want to be dual booted. Windows 8 should play a lot nicer with Macs for that reason alone.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    None of the apps updating from the app store are delta updates, you download the whole binary again each time there's an update. This goes with Xcode too and you notice it more because of its size and what happens when you first open a new copy of Xcode, it always runs extra install scripts for installing things like compilers, git, etc. into your bin folder. As they're system directories, they also require your system password. That extra process you can't do with a sandboxed mac app.

I think they excluded Java from the OS completely due to security issues, and not everyone uses Java. Actually the only application I use that uses Java for some reason is Adobe software...

Windows 8 uses EFI boot loader? Talk about finally lol

I've also had a smooth upgrade to ML, no deal breaking bugs as of yet. I was wondering if I should do a clean install as I've gone through two OS upgrades with this computer. There seems to be a performance boost, but probably not worth putting in the time to do a clean install going by what you say.
    Your father needs to maintain certain illusions about his youth in order to function.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 378
    Given: 744

0 Not allowed!
    I do love Apple. Of course, I own a lot of PCs too.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!
    I, too, found both my iMac (2010) and the Mini (2011) I use as a media centre to be noticeably faster and smoother after updating to Mountain Lion.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Just out of curiosity, how does everyone find iCloud and how do you use it?

I dont have much use for it and havent been able to test it out much so was wondering...

... also it has been suggested to save and store the installer (on thumbdrive (dvd seems to be a bit more complicated)) before installing ML. Wondering if everyone is doing that - and if anyone is running into any issues) )It has been suggested to make re-installation a bit easier instead of relying of the App Store or some of the other fancy built in tricks that may or may not work...

frank
    Last edited by fjp999; 30th July 2012 at 07:04.
    Intensive cytokine arousal for a prolonged period of time is bound to leave its mark on the body, mind and soul.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Question, if you had to choose between the new iPad and the Mac Air, which would you choose and why?

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lou2u View Post
    Question, if you had to choose between the new iPad and the Mac Air, which would you choose and why?
    Depends if I wanted a computer or a take-along media player...

If price is not a consideration then I would be going for the MacAir. You are getting a lot more power in the MacAir.

The iPad is a nice piece of eye candy but there are so many negatives for me...
    Intensive cytokine arousal for a prolonged period of time is bound to leave its mark on the body, mind and soul.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't, although I have the Lion rescue image on my hard disk (which now presumably features Mountain Lion).

I'd choose... hmm... that's tough. I already have a first-generation iPad and my husband has a first-gen Air. I'd probably go with the Air, simply for the lower weight when using a laptop.

I haven't played with iCloud yet. TBH, I generally prefer to use Google Apps, simply because it and my documents are available anytime I have Internet.

I'm well aware that every "update" is really a fully replacement, but it would be nice if XCode deigned to be labeled so.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lou2u View Post
    It depends what are you using a computer for...

In my opinion, the latest iPad with retina display is far better than any laptop for browsing, reading text, mail, music, pictures etc. It also feels faster when doing all that... The interface, I guess.

I sit on my dekstop PC only when I need to work with Photoshop or video editing software, otherwise I use iPad for everything else without having to sit on a chair/desk.
    Been spending so much time underground, I guess my eyes adjusted. To the lack of light... I got... Covered in darkness, covered in darkness.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by g_roch View Post
    I haven't, although I have the Lion rescue image on my hard disk (which now presumably features Mountain Lion).

I haven't played with iCloud yet. TBH, I generally prefer to use Google Apps, simply because it and my documents are available anytime I have Internet.
    Thats is why I was asking about the thumb drive install save - when I tested the Lion rescue image I couldnt get it to work and I have heard some couldnt get ML rescue image to work either.

but isnt iCloud suppose to be the same thing - 5GB free and available on any device on the iCloud with internet My issue is that where I live free internet is not available in most of the city so why put stuff on the cloud when I am at home

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    The biggest thing I do with iCloud is have it store my backups. Everything else just works in the background, calendars, contacts, notes, etc. without me having to think about it. Really, the best thing they did with the cloud was to make it disappear.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    It's interesting that they both cost similar amounts (when the iPad is decked out), but the Max Air does a lot more.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    For those nerd inclined enough to look through benchmarks and read a little jargon:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08...All+content%29

Its nice that they're planning to implement openGL 4.1, but its great to see the benefits of it already.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 61

0 Not allowed!
    hmm so you reinstall MacOS three times = faster?!
    I think I'll give it a try on my Macbook... I don't want to spend more money on buying a new laptop after my trip to NYC..so broke
    ‚ÄčBakes gonna bake, bake, bake, bake.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I just jumped into the Mac world. Just got a used Intel dual core Mac Book with os x 10.6 and am getting used to it. Have been using PC's for years. Like the changes but not totally broke away from Microsoft yet. I Will in the next week or so. I HATE Windows 8.
    RIP all those lost to the LGBTQ community, especially Orlando and our young to suicide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast