Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,595
    Given: 5,598

Question Is being gay legal in your country?

0 Not allowed!
    I am in luck it is legal in my country to be gay.

I can not marry or adopt children but that may change if the time comes.
    Give me two strong arms to protect myself
    Give me so much love that I forget myself
    I need to swing from limb to limb
    To relieve this mess I'm in
    'Cause when depression starts to win
    I need to be right by your side

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!
    It's illegal in my country to be gay T_T

Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

0 Not allowed!
    It is legal here in the US, but I don't live in one of the states where I can get married. I do live in a state where my husband and I can (and did) get a "civil union", which in this state, is marriage without the name, or the federal or international recognition. In 5-10 years I'm guessing the legislators will turn our civil union into marriage, but it probably won't be recognized by the federal government in that time. I also live in a state where we can adopt either individually or as a couple.

The laws are confusing, complicated and inconsistent here in the US.
    I'm on Yahoo, Skype, Google+, FaceTime, iChat, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facebook and Twitter. PM me for details.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    I live in Iceland and here gay people have the same rights as the straight people. I'm allowed to get married... in a church, adopt and everything else. The only thing we haven't been allowed to do yet is give blood.

Thumbs Up

Hi

0 Not allowed!
    In Spain is legal to be gay, get married and adopt. Best regards dudes!

Parked Account
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

0 Not allowed!
    Here in Italy you can fuck men if you wish, but as far as the law is concerned homosexuality doesn't exist. We have a lot of gay bashings, though they are rarely reported because mostly it's a pretty useless thing to do. Sexual assaults are also common, particularly among lesbians, gay minors, transvestites, and transsexuals. Verbal abuse is tolerated even in the parliament.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 10,805
    Given: 14,720

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jinger View Post
    Here in Italy you can fuck men if you wish, but as far as the law is concerned homosexuality doesn't exist. We have a lot of gay bashings, though they are rarely reported because mostly it's a pretty useless thing to do. Sexual assaults are also common, particularly among lesbians, gay minors, transvestites, and transsexuals. Verbal abuse is tolerated even in the parliament.
    Is Italy not subject to EU law? Or do they just ignore it?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!
    It's perfectly legal to be gay anywhere. An unjust law is no law at all.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thelittlestbird View Post
    It's perfectly legal to be gay anywhere. An unjust law is no law at all.
    Unfortunately, unjust laws are still very real, as the 5 men who were recently arrested in Cameroon for having sex and the Afghan woman who has served 3 years for being raped are currently experiencing.
    I'm on Yahoo, Skype, Google+, FaceTime, iChat, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Facebook and Twitter. PM me for details.

Absent
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88

0 Not allowed!
    Gays have always been. Million years ago we gay dinosaurs. Who needs laws nor 3rd party acceptance to do what you wanna do? I say fuck it to modern society everywhere and don't git me started bout fuckin ma own sex. I cut yous lame white people fat ass off! lol

Parked Account
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    We ignore it. We'd rather pay fines than allow gay marriage anywhere near the Vatican. That is, gay marriage or any law that doesn't conform to the Catholic idea that the non-straight population should be oppressed.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

0 Not allowed!
    Well yeah I guess being gay is "legal" in the United States but only just barely. Anti-sodomy laws were on the books into the 1980's. The USA is not in the forefront of any Gay Rights Movement. What's worse is that we find out that it's in no small part American Neo-fundamentalists "missionaries" that are actors behinds the scenes in truly fucked up countries like Uganda.
    "Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out. "...Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    There's value in hearing what the rules really are, not just what the laws say they are. Particularly when there is tremendous subtlety. You'd be surprised how many non-Americans believed that the Prop 8 vote in California affected the entire USA. Or how few Americans understand that in much of Europe, while you can get married or "not-married" (civil unions, civil partnerships), you can't adopt (the reverse is true in much of the USA - we can adopt, but we can't get married or "not-married"). Hearing the hodge podge of rules and regulations from real people helps us understand how silly all of it is.

Quote Originally Posted by streetskater View Post
    Well yeah I guess being gay is "legal" in the United States but only just barely. Anti-sodomy laws were on the books into the 1980's.
    Actually, they're still on the books in 13 or 14 or 18 states (depending on which unreliable source you cite). Lawrence v Texas made them unenforceable, but that was in 2003. And Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas still have gays-only anti-sodomy laws on the books.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 355
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by g_roch View Post
    There's value in hearing what the rules really are, not just what the laws say they are. Particularly when there is tremendous subtlety. You'd be surprised how many non-Americans believed that the Prop 8 vote in California affected the entire USA. Or how few Americans understand that in much of Europe, while you can get married or "not-married" (civil unions, civil partnerships), you can't adopt (the reverse is true in much of the USA - we can adopt, but we can't get married or "not-married"). Hearing the hodge podge of rules and regulations from real people helps us understand how silly all of it is.
    Dave, I never said or intimated anything contrary to this. I'm mystified as to why you'd quote a link I posted and assume that was my intention. As to "what the rules really are", that's a highly subjective statement. Whether laws are administered fairly or consistently will vary with the person asked, and whether or not those laws are enforced or not is highly subjective to the context in which the laws were violated and whom the involved parties are. Often this is based on little more than arbitrary decisions by the person or persons whose task it is to enforce the laws on any of a number of levels. There are societal, cultural and various other considerations to take into account when one defines "being gay" in any sense, let alone a legal one. OP didn't define what he meant. Therefore I posted a link to a page that listed the legal conditions which were gay-specific.
    Last edited by Bentschi; 1st December 2011 at 04:12.

Parked Account
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetskater View Post
    Anti-sodomy laws were on the books into the 1980's
    Here in Italy, homosexuals were still persecuted or punished in the days of Benito Mussolini, but homosexuality itself stopped being a crime in 1890.

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    In Australia, it's legal to be gay but can't marry yet, although we can register as a couple and receive all the same rights and benefits. Most people are very accepting though and more and more are now supporting gay marriage, and there has been slow but definitely steady progress on that front, which is good. So yeah I'm lucky to be here.

And I honestly don't understand why people are so against gay rights and marriage equality; It has absolutely no effect on any other their lives, why waste that much energy protesting it?

And whether by religion or government, no matter how you want to try and justify it, it's still just prejudice. You're prohibiting a group of people from accessing common rights purely because of who they are, that's prejudice.We've come a long way as a society to respect the rights of people of different ethnicities and genders, yet when it comes to gays, suddenly everyone's like "nononononononono".

Civil union is a nice start but seperate but equal is never truly equal. Civil union will still identify gay marriage as different or out of the ordinary.

And it's so easy to legalise gay marriage. Just have to change the definition of marriage from "between a man and a woman" to "between two people". It costs the government nothing.

One day society will look back at this era the same way we look back at slavery.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

in egypt

0 Not allowed!
    i live in egypt and its ( no fuck'n way ) u cant even say that ur gay and its sooooooo hard 2 find another gay ppl here thats y being gay in egypt isnt fun and gay supposed to be fun , so ya

Parked Account
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mungiyu View Post
    Serbia
    Quote Originally Posted by sv20 View Post
    kuwait
    Quote Originally Posted by klobbi View Post
    Iceland
    Quote Originally Posted by stykera View Post
    Bulgaria
    Quote Originally Posted by meno View Post
    egypt
    It's great to have you here guys

Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!
    Here in Sweden gay people have the same rights as straight people adoption, marriage etc. Just not allowed to give blood, but they are talking about changing the law about that one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast